Just some thoughts and experiences from a mountain bike endurance racer who likes to ride and race his single speed mountain bike a long long way on remote single track in the mountains and desert.

Monday, December 13, 2010

1st place Singlespeed at the Mcdowell 60

Just finished 1st place on a Singlespeed in the McDowell 60 which is part of the Arizona endurance series http://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/aes-results/.  53 miles and 8000 ft of elevation gain.

I led most of the race then one block from the finish I took a wrong turn and road 3 miles in the wrong direction on a road.  I thought that a racer had passed me for first while I blew a huge lead.  I noticed that they still put me in first place so I let them know that I thought someone had passed me at the finish.

The jagged pancake sized rocks on the steep mountain climbs and descents are tough on the tires but they held up great!

Excellent race!  I was glad to win it even though I'm in my off season and just riding for fun.