Just some thoughts and experiences from a mountain bike endurance racer who likes to ride and race his single speed mountain bike a long long way on remote single track in the mountains and desert.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Dawn till dusk 12 hour mountain bike race is coming up this weekend in Gallup NM

I'm recovering from a nasty cold which will hopefully be gone by the Dawn till Dusk 12 hour mountain bike race in Gallup New Mexico this coming weekend.  It looks like I'll need to bring some crappy weather gear as well.  I'm already having flashbacks from the old pueblo race.  Fond memories!  I hope it's not a repeat of two years ago where we went to bed after a short preride and woke up to snow everywhere and an unridable trail resulting in the race cancellation.  The year before that I got frostbite on both my thumbs by wearing inadequate gloves for the first lap.  I won't make that mistake twice!  
 
The Superfly is pretty much ready.  I'm going with a Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front, it should be the perfect tire for those corners.  I'm still on the fence as to what gearing to use.  Watching the weather, the wind and rain could be a factor with the gearing.


The competition is going to be huge.  Both age groups are stacked with racers that have the potential to end up on the top of the podium.  Should be fun?
Day Night


Scattered T-Storms / Wind
High
44°F

Precip
60%

Wind: From SW at 26 mph
Humidity: 44%
UV Index: 8 Very High
Sunrise: 6:51 AM MT
Avg. High: 64°F
Record High: 80°F (1996)



Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low
18°F

Precip
10%

Wind: From WSW at 13 mph
Humidity: 59%
   
 
Sunset: 7:43 PM MT
Avg. Low: 23°F
Record Low: 11°F (1993)

Last Updated Wednesday, Apr 6, 8:06 AM Mountain Daylight Time